This page embeds material from the Wikipedia article "Portal:Current_events", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0.
Reading Wikipedia news for
A more pleasant way to keep up with changes in the world.
- The Wikipedia windows are resizable.
- The map window is zoomable (click on country to zoom in, click on empty space to zoom out).
- Date picking, or press left and right for quick previous-day and next-day navigation.
- Parse current events text for automatic map highlighting of relevant countries.
- Make the map window resizable.
- Consider using Google Maps or OpenStreetMap more seriously. I like that d3-geomap doesn’t need to call out to other web APIs though.
- Fix the sizing. The code in general is pretty grungy.
I made this because I was tired of reading emotionally manipulative news. I used to read the Wikipedia current events portal to prepare for my high school’s equivalent of the Cambridge General Paper, and back then I always thought that it would be great if events were overlaid on a world map. This isn’t it (yet), but that’s where I want to go.
If other people find this useful, great! But I’m not really dedicated to updating this beyond my own requirements. That is, emails and feature requests are welcome, but I might not reply in a timely fashion.
Built with Wikipedia’s current events portal and d3-geomap.