Spring 2018 resolutions
3/8ths of the way through CMU!
Post created: 2018-01-12
I've been spending winter break attending a few (mostly programming-oriented) meetups. CMU is actually pretty good background preparation here. But I digress.
Reviewing the semesters I've had so far, I realize quality of life (as measured by sleep) has generally been on a downwards slide.
- Fall 2016
- Time spent on: concepts
- A fairly relaxing semester, overall
- Spring 2017
- Time spent on: 251, attempt at 269
- In retrospect, working midnight to 8am on Sundays was a pretty bad idea here
- My life smoothed out after dropping 269, though a fairly rough semester overall
- Fall 2017
- Time spent on: algebraic structures, TAing 122
- To be fair to 122, I didn't need to sink that much time into it
- I vaguely regret turning down some networking dinners because they conflicted with Tuesday grading
- But I definitely don't regret having extra OH, especially the night before homeworks are due
- But when you prioritize other people's stuff over your own, you end up sleeping at 3 to 4 am a lot. hm.. balance is tough.
- This was a pretty bad semester, work-life wise. It wasn't even the 210 and 213; mostly the math courses.
- "Well, if you're bad at math, maybe you shouldn't minor in it"... well-meaning advice that I get fairly often
- Still thinking about it..
- If I didn't want to struggle, I wouldn't have picked CMU
- Persona quotes seem relevant here.. I chose this fate of my own free will
In no particular order,
- Get more sleep!
- First semester without 830/9am classes
- Aiming to sleep from 1am to 9am
- Way more sleep than I've gotten for the past two years
- No more amortizing sleep
- Cook more!
- Sure, Oishii is a decent deal (meet all food requirements for about 300/month)
- Coming from someone who earned USD 350 a month full-time at some point..
- I am very fortunate. As are the people who live here.
- But it would be fun and much cheaper to cook, and I miss some foods
- Find time for meetups
- I'd like to keep going to two of them
- But the Monday one probably won't happen, because 150 will have panic OH then
- The Wednesday one is possible, though
- Do something that's actually useful
- I'm actually surprised that volunteer slots fill up so quickly around here.
- Rather nice, really. Look for the helpers.
- It would be nice to find a shelter or something to volunteer for regularly
- I really want to play with Rust more
- I wonder if I'll have the time to port all my 440 code to Rust
Round 4, begin!